Screaming in my head.

K

Kendrew

It's weird, I have it less often but I got it the other day and was just curious. I'll be doing something mundane like sorting the laundry or something, and it will come, it feels like I'm screaming, but all the physical actions have been removed and just the mental experience of screaming remains, I act completely normal but in my head I'm freaking out. It's not as though I actually hear the screaming or anything it's just as if my mind's gone into overdrive, it's hard to explain. And I get a weird kind of nostalgia that doesn't make any sense, like I'm listening to a song I haven't heard in years of something. It's happened to me every few months since I can remember. It's not particularly scary, it can be kind of enjoyable just because it's so weird. Thought it might be anxiety related, not sure. Let me know if this has happened to you.

L

Lil

I have had similar experiences (with the screaming) twice that i can remember. Not sure what causes it sorry.

One of the times i was lying in bed dozing off and 'heard' someone suddenly scream in my head - I assume that instance was a auditory hypnagogic hallucination.

Probably a month ago i was walking through my house and got a sudden kind of vision of myself screaming hysterically, could hear it loudly in my head. Maybe daytime parahypnagogia?

Daytime parahypnagogia (DPH), is the spontaneous intrusion of a flash image or dreamlike thought or insight into one’s waking consciousness. DPH is typically encountered when one is “tired, bored, suffering from attention fatigue, and/or engaged in a passive activity.”
Do you feel anxious at all when you get it?

Not sure either about the nostalgia sorry.

K

Kendrew

That DTH sounds pretty close to what I experience, I don't feel anxious, and I don't think it's a panic attack. I think the nostalgia thing may just be me, as I got it a lot when I was a kid. Nice to know other people have the same experience though, and I'm not just insane. Although it's not as though I'm actually hearing screaming, it's sort of like my brain is imagining screaming on autopilot.

L

locklin

I'm 32 now and throughout my life, this same experience has happened to me periodically, maybe once every few weeks or not at all for months or more at a time. When it does happen, it is exactly as the OP described: during an everyday activity, I will likewise feel like I'm screaming, or an ill-defined "someone" is screaming but nothing external. No compulsion to yell for real or anything, and it's not an anxious or worrisome experience, it's just weird. I have less of the nostalgia feeling, although I think I know what you mean. The sensation always passes in 5-10 minutes. Thanks for posting!

A

Artemis_Lynn

This is amazing.

I've been suffering from those exact kind of "attacks" my entire life, and I was just beginning to fret about them. I always assumed it was something brought on by stress or something of that nature, but they began happening while I was doing mundane activities.

My mind IMMEDIATELY went to Schizophrenia although the "screaming" isn't a voice, and its not telling me to do anything. I spoke to my therapist about it today and she seems to believe that it is the result of stifling my emotions, and having them "scream" at me in me head when they break through.

I'm not usually one for therapist mumbo jumbo, but maybe that helps you?

A

alddewyn

I'm freaking out - I've had the EXACT same experience right down to the nostalgia. It happens all the time when I'm doing mundane or repetitive tasks. I can't physically hear the yelling/screaming, but it's still out of my control. Because of the nostalgia I used to be like 'Oh my god - What if I have some sort of horrible, traumatic experience that I've repressed?' but I'm beginning to think that it actually is daytime parahypnagogia. The recall of memories might have something to do with the nostalgic 'feel' that is created.
I'm not sure about the whole screaming thing though. It's like my mind is sort of agitated and racing, although I don't physicially feel anxious myself.

S

schoemanirene_xo

I also tend to experience something very similar and it doesn't happen often, probably once every 3 months. It always happens when i'm doing a mundane task that doesn't require a lot of thinking or effort and all of a sudden I hear inaudible yelling in my head and time seems to slow down but my brain seems to be working incredibly fast and in overdrive. The voice in my head seems very anxious and panicked although I cannot hear what the voice is saying I can feel they are feeling this way. It only lasts about a minute or two because I can usually switch it off and don't allow it to continue for a very long time. Please let me know if anyone else experiences this.

P

prochlor

I've had this a few times in my life, but I've never noticed that it only happens while I'm revising for/sitting important exams. That's not exactly passive activity, and I'm not bored or tired...so not DPH? Whatever it is, it's a hell of a distraction!

Anyway, I brushed my hair behind my ear while the screaming was in my head, and suddenly i felt detached from my body - why are your movements so calm? why aren't you doing something? Can you do something? It felt like there was something I should be panicking about/preparing for, but my body was out of the loop - so the panic was building up in my mind as a inaudible scream. I got the urge to run around and grab things - but what things? What was I supposed to be doing right now?

The longest this has lasted has been the duration of a maths exam, and ^ was the state of my mind (no wonder i failed). Not unsurprisingly, it stopped as soon as the exam ended.

It started this time while I was revising - but I wasn't (consciously) upset or worried. I take beta-blockers to slow down my heart rate if I do panic, but my doctors haven't actually diagnosed me with anxiety (though I'm sure I do have anxiety to a certain extent).

I guess I'll ask the doc about this next time I'm there for anxiety :low:

H

handheart

I think its an intrusive thought and you can speak to your mind to shut of this thought .

J

Jessi7595

I experience the same thing. I'll just be going about my day and just randomly I'll notice that I hear screaming in my head. It's not loud until I notice it but it sounds like several screams on top of each other and it's an alarming kind of scream almost like a bell ringing. It doesn't scare me or make feel uneasy it's just odd and I find myself thinking what is that noise while the screaming is occurring. It can happen at any time. I could be doing a task or doing absolutely nothing.

F

fowlergolf10

i have screaming in my head, but it seems to be my thoughts are screaming. It is weird feeling, i have been under alot of stress lately about thinking about my and my familys futures. The thoughts seem to be really fast in my head and some times it triggers songs in my thoughts that are screaming at me and playing really fast. Nothing that i have tried has helped.

T

TypeWhatHere

Fowler I get the same thing. But I don’t really feel stressed. You have the voice you talk to yourself in your head with but it yells instead of talking when you try just talking. It’s cool when it happens but it’s also kinda scary cause it’s your thoughts just running through your head so fast and so loud. You can only focus on the voice.

Last edited:
N

Nimar

I get this too! And it really freaks me out.. I have put it down to stress or worry but have also thought I was crazy. Schizophrenia crossed my mind too, but like others have said it’s not specific words.. it’s just noise.. but feels / ‘sounds’ like shouting .. so hard to explain but reassuring to know other people experience this. It’s at the most random times too, even if I feel I’m having a good day. Perhaps some underlying stress or emotion to do with something I’ve not allowed myself to think about.

E

Eleythia

Hi guys , are you all still experiencing that . Im starting to think im schizophrenic :\

A

Ambivalence

Everyone has moments like that at least a couple times in their lives, but for those with mental illnesses, it’s almost daily. Sounds like a sign that you’re suppresing certain emotions or traumatic memories that need to be released. A lot of healing comes in processing and making sense of past memories. Don’t rush in too fast, but don’t avoid it entirely either.

R

ReneeRose

So I've had this thing happen to me since I was like 12 (I'm 23 now) and I know that it sounds strange and dumb but every once in awhile I'll be thinking about something normal like for example in my mind I'll be like "I wonder if my room would look pretty painted lavender" no real emotion to it or anything.. No anxiety or bad feelings.. Not even really happy ones. I'm JUST thinking to myself what it would look like and then suddenly my thoughts in my head go from being a normal tone to me screaming every word unable to make my thoughts go back to my normal tone in my head for several minutes.. I don't understand it. I'm not yelling aloud.. Its just me screaming "I wonder if my room would look good painted a plum purple or just a lavender paint ". Honest I don't know why it happens..

x3n

x3n

I am experiencing the same. I know it's not an hallucination, because it's only a thought, but its so strong that it seems like I'm actually going crazy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
N Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 6