Scared of loud sudden sounds?

K

kazurengan

Well i'm not sure if this is a phobia or if my ears are extremely sensitive.
I can't stand loud sudden sounds as they scare me and i start to get really anxious
and sweating. so i have to hold my ears

e.g

-thunderstorms
-fireworks
-ballons

and other type of loud sudden sounds

but if i go to a concert or cinema i can handle the loud sound
I find this is really strange, but annoying.
this isn't something that started now i always feared those.
is this a phobia or something wrong with my hearing??

A

Aurelius

Kazurengan, I am sorry to hear that you are suffering in this way. From your descriptions it sounds like you should be checked out for possible 'ligyrophobia'. This is a fear of loud sounds, especially sudden and unexpected ones that can quite often result in symptoms frequently associated with 'panic attacks' (i.e., getting really anxious and sweating ).

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I don’t think it’s a phobia but it could be linked to anxiety. But a lot of people jump at unexpected sounds like thunder or your phone pinging. I know I do. I think the majority would jump if someone popped a balloon even if they could see it was going to be done. As for loud music it because it’s continuous so your ears get used to it.

K

kazurengan

Kazurengan, I am sorry to hear that you are suffering in this way. From your descriptions it sounds like you should be checked out for possible 'ligyrophobia'. This is a fear of loud sounds, especially sudden and unexpected ones that can quite often result in symptoms frequently associated with 'panic attacks' (i.e., getting really anxious and sweating ).
i see, is there anything i can do to fix this?

I don’t think it’s a phobia but it could be linked to anxiety. But a lot of people jump at unexpected sounds like thunder or your phone pinging. I know I do. I think the majority would jump if someone popped a balloon even if they could see it was going to be done. As for loud music it because it’s continuous so your ears get used to it.
yea but i get scared everytime there are these sounds. somehow my ears don't get used to it
like they do in cinema or concerts. :( would love to know how i get rid of this fear

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Yeh it’s like I said concerts and cinema the volume is constant your phone might only ping 4 or 5 times an hour. But if it was going 60 times a minute I’m sure you would get used to it’s noise

A

Aurelius

There are three reasons why I suggest seeking medical advice - the first is the level of 'fear' you now feel, the second is your level of anxiety/panic response to these events and the third is the level of continuing anxiety that you are experiencing about this. These are responses that go beyond 'normal levels of jumpiness'. There are auditory conditions that result in hypersensitivity to particular decibel ranges and these can be investigated. However, the 'audiological' management of these hypersensitivities does not in itself address any arising psychological outcomes such as fears, anxiety/panic attacks, etc.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Phobia Forum 1
T Phobia Forum 1