OCD Shower Advice?

L

lonewolf84

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can give me any good tips for quicker showers? I've had OCD for about 10 yrs now (I think it started when I got on Paxil, which I'm still on unfortunately), and lately I find myself taking longer showers (25 minutes usually) to wash my entire body. It's a pain. Getting to the point where I dread showering. I feel like I'm not clean unless I wash my entire body. So I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on how to shorten my showers?

L

lonewolf84

My full story: I got on Paxil in 2006 as I was feeling very depressed, and had anxiety in public. It seemed to help with those issues. But, it created new issues.

I started gaining weight (even though doctors say it doesn't add weight). I was 130 when I started on Paxil, I could never gain weight before, but now I'm about 240. The other thing that it seemed to cause was OCD, which again, doctors rejected, saying Paxil doesn't cause OCD. Yet, all over the internet I see different. I never had ANY symptoms of OCD before Paxil, so it was strange that it came out of nowhere.

It started with repeatedly checking door knobs to make sure the doors were really shut/locked, repeatedly making sure water and electronics were off. I still do all this, but I do it more. In my mind I know it's ridiculous, but the compulsion to do it is there.

It has gotten worse throughout the years and now I feel I have contamination OCD. I have a basement that has smelled like intense mildew for years, and if I am down there a long period of time, I feel the need to shower. And not just a regular shower, but a long shower where I clean my entire body. The last few years I began wearing gloves for things I didn't feel comfortable doing (going in the basement, touching trash, touching things I think have been contaminated by other things, etc.). Again, I know it's all in my mind, but I can't help myself but to do it.

If I feel my car has been contaminated, I spray the seats down with Fabreeze.

OCD has really gotten exhausting and I'm trying to reach out for some help. I'm probably going to go see a psychologist/psychiatrist soon, but wanted to start here for some tips.

E

EstherRose94

Hi lonewolf! My OCD behaviors are mostly just thoughts like I get obsessed with thoughts and ruminate. So I’m not 100% how I’d shower faster but I can see how it’d be really frustrating.

Ultimately you’ll have to like find a way to convince yourself (I know you logically know already but like convince your OCD) that even if you’re not perfectly clean you’ll be okay. Hygiene is important but like you will be clean and healthy and safe without your tedious routine.

I’d support your idea to see a psychologist bc they’ll give you tools to help you come to that conclusion and to refrain from those impulses in the meantime.

I

IlanaD37

I suffer from long showers as well. Also excessive toileting. It is so exhausting