New member- any advice?

R

Ralph117

Bit of background information about me:
I’ve been involved in sport since a very young age and have been playing it professionally for 4 years now. I’ve always been dedicated and two years ago I joined a new club where I was getting my body fat tested on a regular basis. I started around 7% body fat, but became obsessed with getting lower and lower managed to get to 4%. I was happy at 4%, but I was being told by those around me that something was wrong even though I disagreed. Due to the constant pressure to eat more, I engaged in bingeing behaviour which made me feel awful and resulted in me breaking down a year ago as I was emotionally and physically drained about eating too much and then obsessively exercising or purging to make up for it.
Following that, I’ve had counselling which finished a few months ago, where I was diagnosed as bulimic and depressed. The counselling I felt never really helped and I’m at a point now where my weight is healthy but I hate the way I look, feel and I’m constantly wanting to lose weight but due to my habit of bingeing I have no control over it.
Any advice on how to break the habit/cycle of bingeing would be appreciated, especially from those who have suffered from binge eating before. I feel throughout all the counselling the one thing I really need is someone who understands what I’m going through and knows how to get through it.

H

HollyR

I'm so sorry that you have gone through this in the last few years, it's so hard to battle an eating disorder. I had anorexia and bulimia from the age of 14 to 18/19, it literally takes over your life and consumes every waking thought.

The best way I find to combat these thoughts and habits are to surround yourself with family and friends who support you. I always found that when I was with people who I was comfortable around and had a laugh with, I felt more distracted and almost forgot about food for a minute and just enjoyed it. In these moments you may feel guilty later on, but for me it was a step in the right direction.

I was also told to eat little and often, so instead of having huge meals three times a day, maybe have smaller meals 4 times a day, with little snacks in between. It doesn't matter if one day you eat more than another, it's recognising it that's the key. If you ever need to talk feel free to message me :hug5:

R

Ralph117

I'm so sorry that you have gone through this in the last few years, it's so hard to battle an eating disorder. I had anorexia and bulimia from the age of 14 to 18/19, it literally takes over your life and consumes every waking thought.

The best way I find to combat these thoughts and habits are to surround yourself with family and friends who support you. I always found that when I was with people who I was comfortable around and had a laugh with, I felt more distracted and almost forgot about food for a minute and just enjoyed it. In these moments you may feel guilty later on, but for me it was a step in the right direction.

I was also told to eat little and often, so instead of having huge meals three times a day, maybe have smaller meals 4 times a day, with little snacks in between. It doesn't matter if one day you eat more than another, it's recognising it that's the key. If you ever need to talk feel free to message me :hug5:
Thank you for the advice, I’ve been using intermittent fasting where il leat 3 large meals between 12-8 and fast outside that time period to control my eating but have found it difficult to stick to. I’ll try and eat smaller and more often and hopefully that helps🤞🏼

H

HollyR

Thank you for the advice, I’ve been using intermittent fasting where il leat 3 large meals between 12-8 and fast outside that time period to control my eating but have found it difficult to stick to. I’ll try and eat smaller and more often and hopefully that helps🤞🏼
You're welcome, it does make you feel a lot less bloated and like you've over eaten, smaller meals more often will take away that guilty feeling and feeling really heavy. Fingers crossed it works for you :hug5: