New and suffer bad from anxiety/panic attacks

Ell9199

Ell9199

Hey everyone, so I’m new to the site and currently sitting wondering if the numbing/ tight feeling across my head/forehead is anxiety (which deep down I know it is) or something more sinister. Really struggling to keep my calm. My anxiety is always health related. Or in the sense I constantly think I have a disease or checking myself for lumps etc but I can be ok watching tv playing on my phone etc and then a sensation is the only real way I can describe it takes over and I instantly panic that in this moment something terrible is about to happen to me! I feel I’m about to pass out or loose control over my body. I feel like something physically is really ready to happen to me and panic myself into some horrendous panic attacks. I’ve even called an ambulance before. Plz tell me someone else gets this “sensation” mines doesn’t always start with like a pounding heart infant rarely it’s only once I’ve gotten myself so worked up the more general anxiety/panic attack symptoms hit me. I can only describe it when in a panicked state as “not feeling right” “or feeling funny” my head my face a weakness in my legs. Unable to focus. I hate my life so much this is destroying me slowly.

Valka

Valka

Hi Ell and welcome to the forum! :welcome:
Have you been to your GP to talk about your anxiety issues? If not maybe you should make an appointment and they can see about giving you some anxiety medication to help you out. Is it like a tension headache you get? Anxiety attacks do suck!

Welcome again!

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

Hi there, I can relate to that, the problem with anxiety is that you tense up so much, not enough fresh oxygen gets around your body for it to function OK, is there a place where you could go, like a beach countryside area, for a long walk maybe?

Ell9199

Ell9199

Yeah been
Have you been to your GP to talk about your anxiety issues? If not maybe you should make an appointment and they can see about giving you some anxiety medication to help you out. Is it like a tension headache you get? Anxiety attacks do suck!

Welcome agai
Hi there, I can relate to that, the problem with anxiety is that you tense up so much, not enough fresh oxygen gets around your body for it to function OK, is there a place where you could go, like a beach countryside area, for a long walk maybe?
no not really I just call mum or try listen to music/tidy up anything possible to distract my mind from how I’m physically feeling. Just sometimes it’s to far gone and I work myself so badly up xx

Ell9199

Ell9199

Welcome again!
Hey, yeah I see a psychiatrist who gives me diazepam. Which helps the symptoms once they hit me but would rather be living a life not waiting on an attack to have to take the diazepam. However I am so reliant on them (only when I “dont Feel right/funny” or feel that dissociation come on) I don’t take them when I’m ok or at the drop of a symptom. Xx

Ell9199

Ell9199

it's just that it hit me out of the blue.
Yeah I can be totally fine and then boom without warning I’m hit. I think there are many triggers from my past that’s reaulted in this but I was well and medication for almost 3 and a half years no anxiety/panic attacks I was mentally very well then 8 months ago without warning or any known reason bang and been like this since again xx

S

Sunshine867

Hey Ell, I know this is an older post of yours but came across it and was just wondering how you are? Have things settled down since. Hope you are well. I can totally relate to what your going through as I have been going out of my mind for the last 4 weeks. I've had the same symptoms as you plus more. It is truly awful and so hard to accept it is anxiety no matter how many times your GP will say it is. Mine has been going on for 4 weeks now and I can honestly say it's been the worst, I feel like I have just wasted and lost that time. X

S

Sara_1978

Hey everyone. This is my first post, iv joined as I too am suffering with terrible sensations all the time but find it hard to believe it’s anxiety.
The problem I’m having at present is constant headaches...but when I say headaches it’s not painful as such, feels more like a massive pressure, like someone is pushing down on my head very hard, and sometimes squeezing round my forehead. I suffer with health anxiety so these feelings in my head are causing panic attacks as I’m convinced there’s something else wrong with me.
Reading that other people are having these symptoms does help me calm down a bit, but the funny heads as I can them are still so hard to deal with !

S

Sunshine867

Hey Sara, you are certainly not alone. Until yesterday, for the last 4 weeks I have felt like I was the only person in the world to have been feeling these symptoms. Mine all started with the pressure in my head which was unbearable and since then just spiraled into more and more symptoms including full blown panic attacks etc. This is the first time I have ever experienced something like this. It came on from nowhere. I had been having a lovely day and when I got home that's when the problems with my head started. This is why I have had so much trouble accepting it was anxiety because I assumed you needed to he anxious about something at the time for it to happen. It seems I was wrong thinking that. In my past, I have had quite a lot of trauma and a lot to deal with but I felt like I had passed all of that and because nothing like this has ever happened before, all I kept telling myself was it's not anxiety and that my GP has got to be wrong and that there is more to this, I can feel it. There has to he something seriously wrong. I then done the wrong thing by going onto google with my symptoms so then I have been feeling like I have every disease out there. It's so scary. Im still feeling some effects still even after 4 weeks. One sided ache, strange sensations, muscle tightness and random twitches. Have you heard of health anxiety? I'm unsure if it could be linked or weather it's anxiety brought on from everything I had to deal with in the past or maybe a bit of both. Hope today is a good day for you. I've literally not wanted to go out much over the last 4 weeks. I went out last night and although it was still on my mind and was still feeling soke symptoms, I was actually proud of myself for doing it. I know it sounds silly and it probs will to mist people who have never experienced this before but I know that you guys on here will understand. Overall, I still enjoyed my few hours out last night and believe I took the lead and was the stronger one over any anxiety last night. Sorry for the long post.x

S

Sara_1978

Ah bless you.
It’s very horrible going through this, iv actually been through panic attacks and anxiety before....approx 7 years I also had a few very hard to deal with things happening and I coped ok at the time but once I got through everything that’s when the panics started....I had cbt therapy which helped me loads.
All good and well for years but then at the start of this year I had a real bad bout of flu which then led to pleurisy....I was so Ill I thought I was dying in several occasions and so it’s set off this health anxiety. I was having some therapy for it but the therapist said she can’t help me as I’m so convinced there’s something wrong with me that she recommends I go for tests to eliminate illness first and then go back for more therapy.
Iv had bloods which showed nothing untoward and iv had a chest X-ray (thought I had lung cancer) but now it’s the problem with my head, iv got it now and iv got things to do today and I don’t know if I’m going to be able to do them...it’s really that bad this pressure, I also get dizziness / feel light headed and feel generally very unwell although all of my observations are always fine!
This is horrible to live with, but I think like you I am now relieved to be able to share and talk about this with someone going through the same.
I could ramble on and on about all of this now someone understands Lol x

S

Sunshine867

Awww I'm sorry to hear that you have gone through all of this before. I can imagine that must be awful. It's bad enough having to deal with it all once. Yeah I was exactly the sake with my head too. I couldnt do anything at all. Dizziness was unreal, GP ended up giving me vertigo medication to try and reduce the dizziness. The pressure and tightness at the same time in my head was unbearable. Felt like with one slight knock it would literally pop. The only way I could describe it was that i felt like I needed open a two in my head to get rid of some of the pressure. My obs were fine too. Blood tests also came back fine. ECGs also fine. Along with that then came all of the other anxiety symptoms and severe panic attacks. If only these things could he a quick fix. That's what makes it so frustrating because you want to try and hurry things up to get things back to enjoying life and living a normal life but it seems the more you try to do that, the more the anxiety rebels against you. I'm so glad that I actually found this forum yesterday and that I can speak to someone going through the same things as me. You just feel like others around you look at you like it's all in your head when in reality the things that were in your head have lead to actual physical symptoms and we do actually feel them.x

S

Sara_1978

I can’t tell you how much better I feel speaking to someone who is going through this so thank you for looking for this forum lol.
I just wondered if you get the same other symptoms as me? As well as the head pressure dizziness etc I also get palpitations which varies, some days I have none and others it’s happening all day long. I get numbness, tingling and sharp cramp like pains in my arms and legs, racing heart but actually when I take my pulse it’s not racing at all. I also sometimes get very sharp shooting pains in my head which fortunately don’t last very long but are evil when happening.
I get extremely tired, I do work nights and evenings which doesn’t help but when I get up I’m literally working out how long until I can get back to my lovely bed.
im Trying very hard to not let this anxiety get hold of me, I’m trying to continue to work and do normal things but it’s very hard to do social things for fear of something happening to me in public. I work in nursing and have great colleagues so work is never a problem for me as I feel safe with the people I work with.
Like you I just want to get back to normal and start enjoying life again, although I am always a worrier even when feeling well....I’m trying to combat that but we can’t help the way we are 😢 x

S

Sunshine867

Yeah in exactly the same. I think that's just our nature, we will always be the worrying kind of people even at the best times. Yeah mine has been exactly the same. Shooting pains in my head. Not in the same place, could be the back of head then the top etc. Mostly lasts a few seconds. Sometimes a shooting/stabbing sensation and sometimes more of a hot sensation. I do also get palpitations too from time to time especially during a panic attack. My feet go quite clammy too. Especially just the top part of my feet which is strange. At times it feels like my chest is heavier and harder to breath yet my oxygen levels are totally fine. When I have what is described as a full in panic attack, I get really shaky too. Some other symptoms are a numbness in the side of my face, my jaw feels heavy and I get random twitches too like on my eyebrow on one side. Just recently my left arm has been so heavy and the only way I can describe the feeling is a "funny bone" feeling. Like that sensation you get when you hit your funny bone but right the way through my arm and my hand and sometimes in my left leg too. I've also had rift muscles in that leg too. Feeling so heavy and tight. (bottom of leg) I sometimes get that strange funny bone sensation on the top of my head and behind my eye. Yeah it always has me exhausted but at times struggle to sleep. Two weeks ago it was that bad that I was awake fir a whole 24 hours then the next night I slept only a couple of hours then the night after that I was awake 24 hours again as everytime i was trying to sleep it just kept waking me back up again. I would also find it hard to swallow. Not that something was in my throat but more like my tongue wouldn't let me swallow. It would take me a couple of attempts to actually swallow. The dizziness was horrible. Even from the moment i woke up. I didn't have to get out of bed and I already knew I was dizzy. Another symptom is dry mouth. I would get some tingling sensations too like in my arms and fingers. Another strange symptom is my neck. Like it's hard to explain but it feels like it's a bit tight inside on one side even though it looks and feels no different with no swelling or anything from the outside. I really did feel like there was no one else who would be experiencing these same things. As much as it's horrible that someone else is going through this, it's a little bit of relief at the same time if that makes sense lol. X

O

OCDguy

Having worked nights myself I found it best to follow a routine similar to working days. When I got home in the morning I would unwind for a few hours before hitting the sack, and then plan to have at least 6 hours quality sleep, longer if interrupted. Hope this helps :)

S

Sara_1978

Having worked nights myself I found it best to follow a routine similar to working days. When I got home in the morning I would unwind for a few hours before hitting the sack, and then plan to have at least 6 hours quality sleep, longer if interrupted. Hope this helps :)
Gosh when iv worked a night shift I can barely walk up the stairs to get to my bed I feel so tired. So staying away not an option for me, but thanks for the thought x

S

Sara_1978

Sunshine 867 reading that reminded me of the last time I was suffering with anxiety, I was so tired but every time I lay down I felt like I couldn’t breath so I ended up going to sleep in the kitchen standing up with my head leaning against a cupboard, that’s the gods honest truth....that was the point where I went to the GP the next morning. I was put on medication that made me feel so horrible for about 5 weeks but from 6 weeks onwards I would of fought anyone that tried to take that medication off me it made that much of a difference combined with the cbt.
Sleep deprivation can make you feel bad enough but add that to anxiety and it’s unbearable!!!
Are you on any medication or having any therapy at all as it all really does help although it’s not helping me this particular time as with it being health anxiety and I’m getting such symptoms I can’t ignore it. x