My childhood problem with stealing

B

BubbaK

Hello Everyone,

I am not sure if I should post my message in this thread, but did not where the best place for my first post should go. Yes, I do suffer from depression. Officially diagnosed in 1996, but now at 58 years old, I am quite sure I was depressed as a teenager. My question is, are there any underlying reasons why a child would steal on a regular basis. Here is what I did:

From about the age of 11-12 I stole money from my mother's purse regularly, and if I were to put a figure to it, it must have added up to a few hundred dollars.

I got caught shoplifting when I was 13 on a family trip to the USA in a department store.

So I am a thief, and I "own" that or admit that, but is there any other reason why I might have acted so badly. My three brothers (2 older and one younger), never behaved this way. Yes, we did grow up in an alcoholic household, but my siblings seemed to lead a honest, law-abiding, non-rebellious childhoods/teenage life...

BubbaK

R

Ramson bangers

Hi Bubbak
Ihave a question?

My question is, why did you feel the need to steal and were you alone or with friends who maybe influenced you?

Jef Costello

Jef Costello

Did you genuinely feel bad about stealing money from your mother? If we disregard the societal programming and how you think you should feel and go on personal emotion, that is.

B

BubbaK

Hello & thanks for the replies,

I can honestly say I don't know why I did it except to get money to buy candy at the store. No friends influenced me, and the same for the shoplifting. Actually my best friend did take money from his parent's dresser drawers, but I don't think he influenced me. I do feel bad about taking the money, especially since my mother passed away in 1993, and I have no way to make a direct amend to her...BubbaK