Lack of dreams - what does it mean / impact?

J

johnram

I am aware people often have flashbacks etc during their sleep, but i am quite the opposite, in that i have no dreams whatsoever and havent done for a long time.
Started to question what that means for my memory processing / health etc, but generally what it means psychologically and open to any thoughts / comments please

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
I don't think it really means anything ,my aunt has said before she rarely dreams
me on the other hand I have several dreams every night
I hope somebody can come up with some good ideas for you
love Lu xxxxx

J

johnram

I was looking for a more psychologically informed answer?

Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

I was looking for a more psychologically informed answer?
You maybe need to seek professional help if it is worrying you ...
Are you getting enough sleep , deep sleep ...?
From a neurology point , to enter REM sleep which is where most dreams arise you need to be deeply asleep ...
Also you may well be having many dreams a night and are just not consciously awake of them .. ?

With some meditation and mindfulness you could look into ... Carefully (if you think your in the right place mentally) to explore lucid dreaming techniques ...

Hope that helps ... Feel free to ask more questions if you need more insight ...

I'm not a mental health professional, just a well read individual x

J

johnram

thank you, i think i am getting enough deep sleep, but i have not enough non REM
and you are right, my therapist advised i am likely dreaming but i am shut out of them for some reason - to be determined

thank you

E

EstherRose94

I’ve heard that most people do dream but they don’t always remember the dream the next day.

Do you feel well rested after you sleep?

E

EstherRose94

Then for that reason I’d check into it for sure. I don’t really know how dreams play in unless you’re not getting REM like was mentioned before. Maybe your sleep cycle is disrupted.

J

johnram

i think you are right, it might be worth a review