I want to live alone

wolram

wolram

What housing benefit can i claim if i have a flat on my own, I have a little money in the bank about £2,000 and no other assets?

claude

claude

It depends on your age wolfram. I think it was the coalition government that changed it so that people under 35 can only claim housing benefit for a room in shared accommodation (excluding social housing)
Those over 35 will be able to claim the local housing allowance rate

This website is quite good for working out what benefits you are entitled to
Benefits Calculator - entitledto - independent | accurate | reliable

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
I think there are exclusions that can apply that mean you can get the over 35 allowance if you are under 35.

wolram

wolram

It depends on your age wolfram. I think it was the coalition government that changed it so that people under 35 can only claim housing benefit for a room in shared accommodation (excluding social housing)
Those over 35 will be able to claim the local housing allowance rate

This website is quite good for working out what benefits you are entitled to
Benefits Calculator - entitledto - independent | accurate | reliable
Hmm, i am to stupid to use that calculator, I 67 receive £190 pension

claude

claude

are you looking to rent a 1 bed flat privately?
If so the amount of housing benefit you can claim will depend on your local council and how they have set the rates.

Sorry the link was too complicated, you definitely aren't stupid, these websites can be confusing. If you can find someone to help you fill in the website it might give you a better idea of what you can claim.

wolram

wolram

I have been offered protective housing, which means some will check on me and make sure I have my meds, i have no idea what the rent will be or if i can get an allowance.

All the best Woolie.

claude

claude

in that case I would have thought you would get housing benefit to cover the rent. I used to live in supported accommodation and the rent was covered by housing benefit. Definitely ask the person/organisation who offered you it. They should help you with all the forms and explain the process hopefully. I hope it works out :)

All the best Woolie

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Vanlife Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2