Human Givens - is it effective

hicks

hicks

My 16 year old daughter is high-functioning autistic, and has anxiety problems. This has developed into OCD, with compulsive behaviours such as repeated hand washing. It's getting worse.
We've had some sessions with our NHS (UK based) services, and to be frank they were useless, and in fact made the situation worse.

Recently I've been told about an approach called "Human Givens". Apparently it has a high success rate, although I've not been able to find much independent information about it, or studies to confirm its effectiveness. All the positive information I've found seems to come from practitioners. These people by and large don't have a solid academic background. That may not be an issue though, if the techniques work. To me it seems like a very simplistic approach to what is probably a very complex condition.

You can see I'm skeptical, but I remain open minded, considering the absolute failure of conventional CBT therapy methods.

So I guess what I'm looking for is opinions about HG, or experiences of people who've had sessions (with either good or bad outcomes).

J

johnram

I looked into it before, and agree that the outer layer of practioners and the websites is a bit too positive

i found little support outside

I would say, call a few different modalities of therapists, and have the short free chat on the phone, to get your bearing on human givens or other approaches

the approach is also one thing, but also what is more important is the therpeutic alliance with the therapist (i.e. do you think your daughter can gain and work with said person)

hicks

hicks

I'm really not sure about this. Looking at the website, they're offering courses leading to a HG diploma certificate (cost £159) in various topics.
It all seems a bit cheap, and a way for someone to gain a practically meaningless certificate without any prior experience, and set themselves up as a 'therapist'. I imagine the people running HG are making some very good money out of this.
The lack of independent information about it doesn't help. I don't really get a good feeling about it.
Of course, willing to be proven wrong if I can get some independent assessment, but the lack of response here speaks volumes.