How Do I Deal With Set Backs?

A

Amphie

I'm having a bad night. Over the past few weeks I feel like I had gotten better. Better at handling my anxiety, better at supporting myself to calm down. I was feeling better. Then, out of the blue, another terrifying, awful panic attack. I was in the bathroom staring at my shower curtain, and then it felt like I couldn't breath and my heart was erupting. I forgot about panic attacks for a good minute and was completely convinced I was dying again. It felt the same exact way as my first one. It's been almost a week on the nose since then and it feels like I'm back to square one. I will say it was a much shorter duration than my first one. It was only about 15 minutes, whereas the first one was almost... 45 an hour? But I'm still so frustrated. It scares me how angry I get at myself. I've had 4 bad panic attacks this week, and after the sensations pass I feel so angry. I'm worried about doing something stupid. How do you deal with set backs. I'm so angry at myself, and these stupid sensations. Every time I have a bad panic attack I get muscle cramps (from being tense and from hyperventilating) in my sides that perpetuate my anxiety.

I think what upsets me the most about this whole thing, is that the people who support me were just starting to say, "you seem to be doing so much better." "I'm so proud of you." Now I've failed. I'll have to call them again in the middle of the night during a panic and ask for support again, and then they'll know I fucked up. So I've been avoiding call them, which... is making things harder. I don't know how to tell them that I'm not doing well without feeling ashamed. I had a panic attack this morning and another panic attack tonight. I'm so tired of this. Is it normal to get better and then get worse than you were before? How do you pull yourself back out?

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

0k so you have had a set back but this time it lasted 15 minutes and not 45 mins so well done to you. :dance:

The battle isn’t won there are always skirmishes to deal with and these make us stronger oh yeah a nuicence but in the future when you look back at how you deal with anxiety …

Been reading through some old diaries and I cant help to be struck how much I have changed.

What would help now is to start to use psychological strategies. Maybe consider starting to not ruminate ( thinking constantly) about the anxiety what you thought what it felt like and what led up to etc.

Instead think of saying STOP! Either in your head or out loud. And gradually you will weaken this habit and it is a habit (reaction habit). People in my experience are limited in the support that they can give you. And therefore its good not to rely on people too much. Otherwise you will remain stuck.

And the more that you talk about anxiety the stronger it will get.