High prolactin

L

Lightanddark

Hi just wondering if any one here has high prolactin levels. I have had it for a few years but my level is over 1000 which is very high. I have to have a brain scan to check for growth. Trying not to worry

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
asked the gp about prolactin he included it in a blood test, said it was higher than normal and he'd research what it means.thats a no of years ago heard nothing, he's now retired

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I've never had my prolactin levels checked. Is that something I should ask my doctor about?

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

Yes if ur mental cycles are not regular
Ha ha....Menstral cycles are definitely not a problem since I'm a guy ! on the serious side, I have heard of guys growing breasts from elevated prolactin levels caused by antipsychotic medications. I have been overweight since childhood and have always had man boobs which I've found embarrassing. But I can't blame them on the antipsychotics because I've had them since childhood.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i was wondering if it was bipolar mental cycles, mood swings

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

Oops, sorry for the misunderstanding. Now I see you wrote mental cycles, not menstral cycles. No, I don't have bipolar or mood swings or mania and not much deprerssion.

I

iwanthope

Hello there, if I were you I'd be very worried about high prolactin levels. My.levels were 7000 and I developed breast cancer as a result. Be careful. Even men can develop breast cancer. They gave me an MRI and said all was fine but had I not insisted on checking out lump in my breast I would not be here. Take care. The problem is that many docs don't know this or aren't interested in telling patients.

L

Lightanddark

They gave me a brain MRI
Oh really sorry to hear that. Well my left breast was leaking about a year ago. So I had to trips to the breast clinic but everything thing was fine. Yh that’s was I am having done soon. I don’t think there is a growth but still a little worried.

L

Lightanddark

I had high prolactin on depixol depot and had to have a brain MRI - all was normal so try not to worry!
Oh really. Yh I’m not too worried I think I would have more symptoms

L

Lightanddark

Oops, sorry for the misunderstanding. Now I see you wrote mental cycles, not menstral cycles. No, I don't have bipolar or mood swings or mania and not much deprerssion.
lol my mistake.

J

jed

Hi just wondering if any one here has high prolactin levels. I have had it for a few years but my level is over 1000 which is very high. I have to have a brain scan to check for growth. Trying not to worry
My prolactin level went up to 2732.I was not well on all the medications I was put on.Eventually after 18 months I was put back on the medication I was well on for 33 years and given 5mg of aripiprazole as well.This brought my prolactin down to normal.It causes insomnia so I take it in the morning.

L

Lightanddark

Yh I’m on 10mg of aripiprazole but levels still high