Help with fathers mania.

S

Starceptor

Hello, sorry for how bare bones this is, I just wanted to get my thoughts out there before i forget (i have memory issues along with my own mental disorders not related to Bipolar)

Starting from the beginning, im sure my dads always had mental trouble, frequently depressed and angry . I was a child and so i don't have much to go on other than "there were a lot of times dad just wasn't right". His brother died 3 years ago and i think something just triggered his symptoms to become so much worse.
he would crawl around on the floor and yell and fall asleep in the middle of standing and im sure other things but it was 3 years ago he just acted wild , we thought it was low blood pressure or something at first but over time we just accepted it as thats what dad does now. Over time things must of gotten better, but recently something has triggered it to become more intense than before.
He now
  • screams
  • slaps his belly like he's playing the drums
  • headbangs and "sings" (he's a guitar player)
  • screams "ow!" and "fuck!" at the top of his lungs constantly
  • runs around the house
  • starts to fake cry if we react in any way thats not positive
  • he snaps semi out of it when i touch him and try to get his attention now and then but slips right back under to not "being there" anymore
  • laughs wildly
he's had an episode every day for a week, sometimes multiple.
whiles he's having an episode. We can usually tell when ones going to happen because he starts mumbling and heavy metal singing quietly before starting to slap his stomach. He's also an insomniac and just cant sleep more than maybe 2-3 hours a night before going to work in a factory
We're very poor , and my mother going to jail is the trigger(she's out right now on bond and the episodes are so frequent and she's so stressed with everything going on its a bad combination) for things to get worse this time. None of our family are very kind to us and i know the worlds on his shoulders, i just want to be able to help in some way.

I feel like im being abusive for not just , sitting back and accepting and being happy 24/7 about how my house is. I don't know how long my mom is going to get and he's the only person bringing money into our house now (he couldnt hold a job in those 3 years as he was grieving, and so he's had to take a terrible job with no insurance whatsoever )

He has never been diagnosed (none of us have despite us all having obvious somethings)

Im sorry this is so jumbled i needed to get my thoughts out quickly before i forgot something and had to come back and clarify.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
hi that is a lot to be going through
you are not being abusive you are trying to help
financial worries on top of everything else must feel awful

I think your father really needs a proper diagnosis and then hopefully the family will receive some help
could you ask for a doctor to come out and visit him? xxx

E

Edinscotbrit

First and foremost he needs to see his GP/Practitioner for an assessment.

No-one on a forum can diagnose, nor should they.

Best of luck.

S

Starceptor

hi that is a lot to be going through
you are not being abusive you are trying to help
financial worries on top of everything else must feel awful

I think your father really needs a proper diagnosis and then hopefully the family will receive some help
could you ask for a doctor to come out and visit him? xxx
Im sure of that too, just that a doctors visit vs paying bills isnt really a choice with no insurance. I knew not much advice could be given aside from " got to a doctor" but i just thought i would ask.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Bipolar Forum 2
L Bipolar Forum 7
L Bipolar Forum 10
B Bipolar Forum 9
V Bipolar Forum 3