Has anyone dealt with the burden of taking care of someone, especially you having panic attacks as a result? How did you overcome them?

frisas45

frisas45

I wanted to know some inspiration from people who raised their loved ones and had difficulties. I am facing mine, and the burden puts me in dread and panic.

I'm telling mine. I am a mentally challenged man (suffering from bipolar disorder and paranoid schizophrenia) raising a mentally challenged mother who is suffering from delusions. She gets angry if I try to force her to take pills and do what's best for her. She never listens to me, and does whatever she wants. Like, I don't want to force her, but she does many destructive behaviors that I cannot utter here.

The doctor isn't being helpful, unless if she does what he asks for her to do. She can't. Otherwise, we have to go to a general hospital. I have no money for that. And I have a liver problem, and he can't give me any pills that reduce anxiety.

I can only worry about myself, but I am scared that I might lose a place to live if she dies like this. In South Korea, it's hard to get a job. Even foreigners like me.

I am terrified, and it's been three agonizing months of suffering. Her constantly yelling and screaming. I can't stand this anymore.

I listen to sermons of hope and other testimonies to cope with the panic. But I need your support

What is your story? How did you deal with them? How did you have hope? How did you persevere?

D

dewey

Yes I have experience of care and I wish I didn't have that experience. It was very difficult for me at the time, I was only young.
It sounds like equally, you are in a very difficult position. I would like to send you my sympathies and tell you that I admire what you've been doing.
However also I feel you should realise that it sounds like you too are suffering from bipolar and schizophrenia, if this is the case then how can you too also be expected to care for someone who is mentally ill? It makes no sense. You should not have this pressure on yourself. Is there no one else who can care for your mother? You have to take care of yourself too. Otherwise in this situation it is just a question of the 'blind leading the blind'. It seems very unfair to expect someone who is suffering from mental illness to look after someone else suffering from mental illness.
I'm sorry that it is difficult to find work. That's hard. I wish you courage and luck

frisas45

frisas45

Yes I have experience of care and I wish I didn't have that experience. It was very difficult for me at the time, I was only young.
It sounds like equally, you are in a very difficult position. I would like to send you my sympathies and tell you that I admire what you've been doing.
However also I feel you should realise that it sounds like you too are suffering from bipolar and schizophrenia, if this is the case then how can you too also be expected to care for someone who is mentally ill? It makes no sense. You should not have this pressure on yourself. Is there no one else who can care for your mother? You have to take care of yourself too. Otherwise in this situation it is just a question of the 'blind leading the blind'. It seems very unfair to expect someone who is suffering from mental illness to look after someone else suffering from mental illness.
I'm sorry that it is difficult to find work. That's hard. I wish you courage and luck
My family is planning to take care of her, but it's gonna take awhile. I can't stand it.

D

dewey

My family is planning to take care of her, but it's gonna take awhile. I can't stand it.
Hmmmmm. Sounds tough if you have to wait.
Could you ask them to take her sooner? Or could you also demand help from the authorities/the state? I'm not sure how it works in Korea. Perhaps there are mental health hospitals? Or she could also have a carer of some kind?
Sorry to hear your in this position.
There should be more help for people with mental illness. The world is very behind on this matter.
*sigh*
Sending you a hug.

frisas45

frisas45

I tried the state for help. But there's no avail. I may need to look for more. South Korea's not known for mental health support.