Good things to say/do for depressed people

D

dewey

As someone who has experienced depression, even I don't know how to answer this. It would be good to get a variety of answers.
What do you want to be told when you are depressed? What do you want people to do for you? Do you want space, or do you want comfort?

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

I think something helpful for both parties is asking "What can I do to help you specifically?". Having a specific way to help someone means that you actively do something that will help them, while also staying true to your word when offering to help. Everyone wins :)

D

dewey

I think something helpful for both parties is asking "What can I do to help you specifically?". Having a specific way to help someone means that you actively do something that will help them, while also staying true to your word when offering to help. Everyone wins :)
True, I get your line of thought. I guess when someone is severely clinically depressed though, and beyond any point of hope, it's hard to throw them a life line because they can't think of a way you could possibly help them, they're at the point of despair

D

dewey

I think the worse thing is when someone has such low self opinion they can see nothing good in themselves

B

barmcake

At times we really want certain things to go our way. But with the passing of time, you will realise that you managed to not only live, but whatever it was you were wanting probably doesn't even appeal to you anymore. It is true that life has better plans for you. The only conditions is that you persevere and keep moving on with every disappointment, because things will get better, they always do: everything passes with time. Nothing really matters but hope. This might be a bit patronising but I agree it's so difficult to find the words at times. Good post.