Fear of certain numbers

S

sleeplessinuk

I've had this fear for a while but have never really dwelled on it much but now i'm spending far too much time on another forum and today it's kind of triggered my fear to an even greater extent.
I am scared of a certain number. I can't even write it down because i panic when i see it. Basically, it's the same number times 3 (3 digits). I think that if I see it it's the d**** spying on me etc... (I can't even type its name).
I hope i'm not confusing anyone and you know what i'm talking about.
Please, if anybody else has this fear could you let me know because I really need to know that i'm not the only one. It's so frightening and I know it's gonna affect me tonight while i'm trying to sleep.

A

Apotheosis

I think that things only really have the power that we give to them, that we create the significance & the association. I also have a number; that is different from yours, that gets to me sometimes. I try to just ignore it.

D

Deremna

I am bothered when see "222" because it tends to show up a lot when family members were dying.. I would see it on clocks, license plates.. My mom and aunt noticed, too.

A

ADrisk

I was scared of the number 23 for a while after i saw that movie. You are really just paranoid.
Can i tell you something about the guy that starts with "d"?
He was once god's most beautiful angel, and he lead a rebellion saying that people on earth should be able to make their own decisions (e.g form their own governments etc) and not be under the influence of god. - This is what my friend told me who is going to become a priest soon.
So don't worry, this guy isn't that scary monster in your closet.. No one is spying on you..and really it's best not to believe in this stuff.. numbers are just ways used to count things, i'm more surprised that you aren't scared of the letter 'd' as you are of the number ***. If you are seeing this number a lot, then don't panic again..there are only 10 digits, it's quite likely for numbers to re-appear.. And trust me, if you did what i used to do with the number '23' like: say the time is 11:12, i would add up 11+12 and think "oh no..its 23 again", i would often look ways to cancel it out, by adding an extra of two, because of the colon in the middle. But honestly, trust me on some things:
A) There is no one spying on you, my friend says god loves all and that he will pray for you (he prayed for me when i was afraid of #23.
B) If this number is re-occurring, then ask yourself, is it re-occurring everywhere and at different places? eg: bus stop, car, house, time-table, work place, shopping mall, or just the same old where it remains forever. If you want to re-assure yourself, remember, the silly red guy* (you know who) isn't allowed to touch you, even so much as peep at you without god's permission!
C) Try my trick, of avoiding the number, or try to notice other numbers. For example i began to notice the number '7', to prove to myself that numbers are always everywhere and it's common to see them repeat. My birthday is on the 7th day, there are 7 days in a week, 7 is considered is considered lucky, the time right now is 9:57pm (it really is haha)
Or the number 1: 'There are currently 1 users browsing this thread' is what it says at the bottom of the page, that "Padden9381" has 1 at the end of his name
And so on..
Good luck with your paranoia, which is all it is and nothing else!
Try listening to some happy music, be positive, trust me it works. I can recommend some songs for you if you like. Keep your mind business with other things, and try to say to yourself "ohwell, what's that silly red guy gonna do?" or "hah..would you look at that, it's that number again maybe i'll bet my lottery ticket on it" or something.
Being positive is the key, it may be hard at first, but basically this is how i did it (and now lead a great life, mentally and physically)
Eat good foods, fruits and vegetables, this makes you feel good on the inside and on the outside
Go on jogs, exercise regularly, same effect as eating good foods
Give people compliments, even random people! (make sure it's not someone's girlfriend :p)
Get a different haircut
Join a sport team or take up some recreational activities (i took up piano, starting going out to play soccer and played games like call of duty at home when i was bored)
I sincerely hope this helps, because after about a week of doing that stuff, i started to feel better already! And i bet you my fear was equal to, if not worse, than yours!
Good luck buddy, and remember, think of your family and friends and how it may effect them if you keep thinking negative.
>>Negative thinking leads to a downhill life, positive thinking leads to happiness.
Have a ball, go to a theme park or a club event!

B

bill.toy

If you turn this on its head - or try to look at the cup half full instead of half empty you might realise a few things that raise other questions

Q - Where did you first see this number in the context of Old Nick?
A - a (horror) film????

Q - Why did you watch the film in the first place?
A - To be scared

Realisation - it worked then didn't it? But

Q - Did you intend it to continue beyond the end of the film?
A - Probably not so if it has its because you didn't 'walk away' from it when the film ended

Realisation - You have allowed this experience - represented by seeing this number as the film intended - to have power over you and so you need to take back that power.

The theory is
When you are frightened of something anxiety builds up
If you stay there (exposed to it ) long enough - the anxiety lessons (just like getting used to the hot water when you first climb into a bath)
BUT - if you immediatley back off then next time you are exposed to it the fear builds quicker because you are now anticipating it and so it seems to be worse.

Phobic desensitisation is based on
Deciding what end result is required - if you are phobic about spiders do you want to be able to have a tarantula collection - or - just be able to have the ability to trap one in a glass and get rid of it
Setting yourself some ACHIEVABLE goals along the way - AND PRACTICE THEM REPEATEDLY UNTIL THE ANXIETY REDUCES

Suggestion - Reduce its impact by gradual but repeated exposure to it
e.g. break it up 1X24X56X78 and use it as a pasword or something so you will repeatedly see it.

Put this number everywhere where you will repeatedly see it

Gradually remove the other numbers until you just have the 3 numbers left

It may take a few weeks but if you persevere you will be able to look at the number without freaking - and the final test will be to watch the film again!!!!

sara

sara

If you turn this on its head - or try to look at the cup half full instead of half empty you might realise a few things that raise other questions

Q - Where did you first see this number in the context of Old Nick?
A - a (horror) film????

Q - Why did you watch the film in the first place?
A - To be scared

Realisation - it worked then didn't it? But

Q - Did you intend it to continue beyond the end of the film?
A - Probably not so if it has its because you didn't 'walk away' from it when the film ended

Realisation - You have allowed this experience - represented by seeing this number as the film intended - to have power over you and so you need to take back that power.

The theory is
When you are frightened of something anxiety builds up
If you stay there (exposed to it ) long enough - the anxiety lessons (just like getting used to the hot water when you first climb into a bath)
BUT - if you immediatley back off then next time you are exposed to it the fear builds quicker because you are now anticipating it and so it seems to be worse.

Phobic desensitisation is based on
Deciding what end result is required - if you are phobic about spiders do you want to be able to have a tarantula collection - or - just be able to have the ability to trap one in a glass and get rid of it
Setting yourself some ACHIEVABLE goals along the way - AND PRACTICE THEM REPEATEDLY UNTIL THE ANXIETY REDUCES

Suggestion - Reduce its impact by gradual but repeated exposure to it
e.g. break it up 1X24X56X78 and use it as a pasword or something so you will repeatedly see it.

Put this number everywhere where you will repeatedly see it

Gradually remove the other numbers until you just have the 3 numbers left

It may take a few weeks but if you persevere you will be able to look at the number without freaking - and the final test will be to watch the film again!!!!
a very good answer. I had a fear of spiders but made myself think differently and now I am able to catch them in a jar . But!!! I still have to find it or else I cannot sleep if one enters my home.

B

bill.toy

Well - thats ok i f you are happy with giving up your time looking for it - but what about if you can't find it - and what about the ones that come into your home when you are not there to notice them (and incidently don't eat you in your bed)!!!

You need a plan B - how to put it into perspective if you can't find it.

Its about challenging your thoughts and asking yourself - where is my evidence for believing this will happen - what is a more realistic view - what helps me to stop these thoughts??

sara

sara

'I had a fear of spiders but made myself think differently and now I am able to catch them in a jar . But!!! I still have to find it or else I cannot sleep if one enters my home. ' I should have put on but I am working on it at the end.
Your reply really annoyed me. Friggin spiders in my bedding eating me. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D

DancingWind

Hi! I am scared of the number 4 actually. I am convinced it is unlucky for me. So, I always avoid it!! But your phobia sounds like maybe there is some childhood experience related to triple numbers, that was unpleasant and you have blocked it out?

O

OneWorriedHusband

Sleeplessinuk: your username caught my eye. Please read up on sleep deprivation. If you don't get enough sleep, fears are magnified, then you can't sleep, and you can get sucked into a vicious downward spiral. I've witnessed this recently, it's not a pleasant experience. Imagine that you and I are standing in the middle of the road discussing your fear of that certain number. Now imagine a bus comes round the corner, roaring straight at us. You'd jump out of the way. Sleep deprivation is like that bus. Don't let your numerophobia preoccupy you so much that it flattens you.

T

terrific3

I have fear of number 3! I have realized that it is the most unlucky number for me. It started from my college days when one of my fren betrayed me and DOB was 12th (1+2=3!!!) then came an alliance at 2.01PM (again 2+1=3!!) which broke due to some uncertainties, which was a shocker for both our families! these are few examples, now m scared to shift my cubicle on 21st!! I try a lot not to believe them but i end up in believing them cuz i have gone thru many scenarios which somehow add upto the number 3!! somehow it gets to my notice that there is the #3 behind it. My mind automatically calculates it! Terrific 3!!!

J

Jid3g0

So it's just one set of numbers for everyone? I wish it were that easy for me. I see numbers when they shouldn't be there. Any and all numbers. Different numbers affect me in different ways. I can stay pretty calm with numbers associated with 0,1,6, and any combo of those numbers. Others panic me and I have to make them change. I usually can unless the numbers 4,7,8, or 9 are involved. Those numbers in any combo or by themselves put straight fear into me. If they appear to me in certain colors it makes it worse. I have to change those numbers immediately in any way possible even if I have to do something stupid or bad to change them. I don't know what it is but it scares the hell out of me and it's progressively getting worse.

H

Hopekookism

Please I'm new here and I didn't know where to as ...but I wanted to know the answer of some question : my friend said she has a complex with the numbers (78 and 87)

madfryer

madfryer

i think numbers are a good thing life is full of them so i studied numerology and it taught me quite a bit about myself
but if we are talking about unlucky i always think trouble comes in threes

H

Hopekookism

Thank u ..
But she isn't afraid of these two numbers bcuz of luck ...she only feels uncomfortable and uneasy when she sees 78 & 87 ...maybe a phobia? I heard that there are weird phobias out there in the world .. Could it be one of them?

G

George10111

I used to be scared of numbers 7, 8 and 10, and certain words which I couldn't ever say. I used to have some weird belief that saying these certain numbers would cause me some great embarrassment later down the road. I couldn't say those numbers, or the words, the way a lot of people are afraid to say certain universal no-no words. I don't know why that was the way my kid brain worked. Its gotten better though as I've gotten older.

J

Jay10

I've had this fear for a while but have never really dwelled on it much but now i'm spending far too much time on another forum and today it's kind of triggered my fear to an even greater extent.
I am scared of a certain number. I can't even write it down because i panic when i see it. Basically, it's the same number times 3 (3 digits). I think that if I see it it's the d**** spying on me etc... (I can't even type its name).
I hope i'm not confusing anyone and you know what i'm talking about.
Please, if anybody else has this fear could you let me know because I really need to know that i'm not the only one. It's so frightening and I know it's gonna affect me tonight while i'm trying to sleep.
Hi George10111, You are not alone. I have a fear of a certain number too.When I see it, it triggers my OCD of a horrible event happening to me. I "look" for it, try and predict it to "test" it, and sometimes it does appear sometimes sending me on a tail spin of depression.

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

I have a fear of the number three cause every time a three shows up something bad happens. One exception being when I adopted Willow, even then Willow came to me on a painful anniversary (ten year anniversary of first cat Beauty dying in my arms) :sorry:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
cmjanuc Phobia Forum 5
mischief Phobia Forum 4
D Phobia Forum 1
L Phobia Forum 4
Jessica89 Phobia Forum 1