Door handle contaminated

P

Phil10

My parents came over to my house after I visited they had touched the wheelie bin and then closed my door I worry the handle is ruined and will spread germs. When I use to stay at home she use to unblock the toilet and put it in wheelie bin so I fear toilet germs and bin germs are spreading after I lock up my house now? I used anti bacterial wipes but this does no good only replacing something helps

L

Lora

My mum was a nurse and told me tea trea oil kills all bacteria so I use that all over work tops door handles it protects for days

M

Mary26

Bleach. It's the most powerful disinfectant and will absolutely kill those germs on contact. (But use it sparingly and wear gloves).

S

Skynet

My mum was a nurse and told me tea trea oil kills all bacteria so I use that all over work tops door handles it protects for days
Bleach. It's the most powerful disinfectant and will absolutely kill those germs on contact. (But use it sparingly and wear gloves).
With all due respect, I think you two are not helping the OP's OCD by suggesting new cleaning agents.

@Phil10 What makes you think that anti-bacterial wipes are no good? Why does the handle have to be replaced? The right approach is for you to realize that the risk of falling ill due to contamination is small, and in the off chance that you do fall ill, treatment is readily available.

P

Phil10

I was rushing for work today and i had to open the door with my hands usually I had been using my elbow now I worry I touched my phone it’s dirty the germs have spread everywhere everything is ruined and my life is doomed. My upcoming marriage I won’t enjoy that I can’t enjoy my stag night I can only see germs from the bin and the possibility there was unblocked toilet germs on these bins

P

Phil10

hi
With all due respect, I think you two are not helping the OP's OCD by suggesting new cleaning agents.

@Phil10 What makes you think that anti-bacterial wipes are no good? Why does the handle have to be replaced? The right approach is for you to realize that the risk of falling ill due to contamination is small, and in the off chance that you do fall ill, treatment is readily available.
I don’t fear getting ill it’s a perfectionism ocd because when something becomes ruined I want to replace the item as I feel it’s forever contaminated

S

Skynet

I was rushing for work today and i had to open the door with my hands usually I had been using my elbow now I worry I touched my phone it’s dirty the germs have spread everywhere everything is ruined and my life is doomed. My upcoming marriage I won’t enjoy that I can’t enjoy my stag night I can only see germs from the bin and the possibility there was unblocked toilet germs on these bins
You seem to have pretty severe OCD. I suggest trying medication.

hicks

hicks

You seem to have pretty severe OCD. I suggest trying medication.
Apologies if I'm going over old ground, I'm new here. I may have missed an FAQ if there is one.

Do you think drugs are effective in treating OCD? we have had this suggested (SSRI drugs). How do they work to alleviate (cure?) the OCD?

(Mods: feel free to move to a new thread if required).

S

Skynet

Apologies if I'm going over old ground, I'm new here. I may have missed an FAQ if there is one.

Do you think drugs are effective in treating OCD? we have had this suggested (SSRI drugs). How do they work to alleviate (cure?) the OCD?

(Mods: feel free to move to a new thread if required).
Yes, SSRI antidepressants can be very effective in treating OCD although there are usually residual symptoms. My OCD is 50% better since starting escitalopram (an SSRI).

SSRI's increase the amount of serotonin in the brain, which reduces something called "negative affective bias" in people with depression and OCD. This means that people on SSRI's become less likely to dwell on the negatives in life, and as a result the thought processes that cause depression and OCD are affected. SSRI's also improve mood and change personality independently of each other, which may also play a role in maintaining one's gains with depression/ OCD treatment.

hicks

hicks

Have you experienced any side effects caused by the antidepressant?

S

Skynet

Have you experienced any side effects caused by the antidepressant?
I experienced delayed ejaculation when I started it but that has since gone away. Also a bit of akathisia (restlessness).

P

Phil10

I’m on meds for a bipolar episode I had a few years ago so I can’t take meds for my ocd so I am stuck.

P

Phil10

I touched the door handle then my phone so it take my phone everywhere so the germs will be all over from the bin or blocked toilet seems there is no escape this is the worst ocd can be when nothing is going to be clean anymore?

L

linus

Nothing is clean anyway, it's actually better like this since your immune system gets fed with the necessary information to counter-attack when needed.

P

Phil10

Yes but what if I worry for months on end as I do sometimes with issues like this?

P

Phil10

How can I not worry? I spend years worrying over some of these issues. I mean I will think it’s dirty as I seen her touch the bin I may never think anything is clean again until I replace the door handle and door and buy a new phone? My urge is to replace stuff

L

linus

You said "if".. I just changed the option, worrying about future is anxiety, maybe you can choose to think about something else as soon as the thought pops up