Difference between manic and hypomanic

D

DaveinJapan

Anybody got some real world experience with the differences between hypomania and regular mania? I've seen links with descriptions, so I don't need that so much. More like real descriptions of what one is like compared to the other. I've had experience with what I think was a full-on manic episode, but I'm not sure what the difference is.

Thanks!

S

Skynet

I think hypomania is supposed to be a "good" and productive state of mind whereas mania is invariably "bad" or disastrous.

6ofusathome

I always think of it as less than full on mania. I have never actually had a full blown manic episode. But I would have moments when I could not stop talking, i couldn't attune to people and while that was happening it was like a voice in my head was saying "slow down, you are being rude" but I could not slow down. AND while that was happening I would be watching myself from above. It was like i was 2 or 3 people playing different roles in that moment. And I would get lots down around my house...A LOT. but mostly I noticed that difference and the problem. My friends would just think "wow you are extra hyper today" or even "wow i don't know how you do everything that you do"

calypso

calypso

Admin
Iget hypomania and don't find it productive at all. I get voices and very negative experiences from it. I think its often seen as not as serious but depressions can be more severe with hypomania's other pole. Some people with mania never experience depression but those with bipolar 2 often do which can be dangerous.

Its particularly dangerous when you get depression and hypomania together called a mixed state. The mania can loosen inhibitions and the depression can be driven to act as a result.

M

myjourney2

I think it's just naming convention. It's hypomania until you end up hospitalized, then it's mania.

I guess both hypomania and mania could be productive or harmful, but hypomania is more likely to be good and mania is more likely to be bad.

Z

zusy40

Mania is loss of reality whereas hypomania you would still have some sort of sense of reality but still be speeded up if that makes sense

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

For me, hypomania is comfortable and erases aches and pains delivering great freedom to accomplish things. I would add a classification beyond mania; there's a worse level to mania. Regular mania brings insomnia. Beyond that is a place you don't want to go.

And I'd just like to add that I'm weary of the people that say there is no bipolar; it's just a fabrication or misunderstanding.

megirl

megirl

For me hyopomania, is racing thoughts. Pressured speech, flight of ideas, no sleep, excessive energy, impulsiveness,
Then depression hits, then loads of agitation to do something about it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Bipolar Forum 4