Depression peer support groups for a vacationer?

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

This is probably a long shot but whatever. I'll be on vacation in London from 19 April thru 24th. I'd like to find a drop-in peer support group for depression or anxiety that meets sometime during this interval. I'm staying in midtown but would use the rail lines to get wherever I need to be to find my people (the mentally ill).

The self-referral groups I've located online either through MIND.org or the NHS are for serving their communities not taking in some random dude from the States. Does anyone know where I should be looking?

Thanks x

Z

ziedite

Hi random dude... I don't know of any group, as most are just local and members tend to come from the local community like you said. But this forum is always online and if you need support during your trip to London, you can message us here and someone will respond. (like me) Help us understand though why you think you'd need a face to face meeting with others that don't know your situation or issues.... that may allow us to guide you if you post in the forum.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Hi @ziedite and thank you for responding.

At home I attend a weekly adult therapy group that also works as a support group, I like it very much and have been away for 2 weeks. I don't anticipate needing any help during my vacation but I will be alone for 5 nights so I might get lonely. On previous visits, I've found most people in London to be very approachable, at least in taverns. Yet to be honest, the sort of strangers I'm most interested in meeting are the kind of people here - people living with mental illness. Those are my peeps, which is to say, the kind of people I'm most comfortable around when I'm uncomfortable.

Maybe I'll look at Meetup to see if any depressives are having a gathering.