Borderline Personality Disorder and PIP

S

snowdog4935

Good Evening/Morning all,

I am looking for some advice.

I have a long term diagnosis of BPD, with my initial diagnosis being severe depression (with psychotic episodes) and severe anxiety.

I was awarded DLA due to me needing support throughout the night, and so received higher rate DLA for several years, due to my self-inury being acute during the night hours.

I filled in the PIP forms and have been summoned to a face to face assessment with ATOS now disguised as Independent Assessment Services on the 27th July.

I would rather lose my benefit than attend an assessment designed to trick me at a physiotherapy clinic by a physiotherapist.

I have asked my GP to write a letter requesting an alternative means of assessment as I will not be attending the appointment due to the increasing risk to myself (and potentially others).

Has anyone been in this situation and could offer any advice

After 4 years, the stress of this has caused me to start scratching holes into my skin. I think I will be happier when my partner has spoken them tomorrow

Thanks

Last edited:
katya

katya

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

I've got an informal diagnosis, and have to go to a tribunal soon, to get PIP.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if they'd award it to you without meeting face-to-face (if they've already asked you go to in for an assessment), and, even then, they might deny you it.

The thing that gives me hope is that the judges are typically on the side of the claimant, and not the DWP's.

I really hope they award you PIP without you having to go through anything traumatic. But I'd be aware that you might need to go to an assessment.

I'd get in touch with your local Citizen's Advice Bureau, and ask them to help you with the process so far. They're really good. I'm arranging someone from CAB to represent me at my tribunal.

Best of luck with it all. The DWP are a bunch of ****s.

Zardos

Zardos

Has anyone been in this situation...
I've got an appointment to go for an assessment on Wednesday.. I'm not going either.. i when to one last year and it was grueling.. Took well over an hour.. Sat opposite a guy who didn't even look at me.. Just sat there firing leading questions at me.. His 'job' is to fail ya.. So I'm just not going to go through that again.. Plus i can't get anybody to go with me this time...

I was on DLA for life.. But the way the PIP form is written.. I'm not sure myself if i qualify.. So fuck it ! I'll just have to get along without it :shrug:

S

snowdog4935

Thank you

I just reread my post from last night. What I didnt make clear is that I hadnt self-injured for 4 years, and now its started again due to this garbage from atos.

I had a big lecture from CAB about 'just go along it'll be fine we can appeal' and when I still said I wasn't going the chap tried the 'so you're letting them win' tack.

I explained I would not be attending something that I have heard many times that you fail if you attend on time if you are claiming for mental health as it evidences you aren't mental, if that makes sense.

Is it best to let them know I wont be going or just not turn up ? I am seeing my GP today (in our area everyone is discharged to GP as most community mental health services have vanished).

I would rather lose the money than put myself at any more risk.

Zardos

Zardos

I explained I would not be attending something that I have heard many times that you fail if you attend on time if you are claiming for mental health as it evidences you aren't mental, if that makes sense.
Classic catch-22 !

Is it best to let them know I wont be going or just not turn up ?...
I'm just not going to turn up.. fuck 'em !.. So far i haven't herd from anybody who hasn't been turn down

S

Stormcloud

I would call the DWP and tell them what has happened? They might reconsider sending you for an assessment.

A

angelflower

I am really blessed. I've applied for PIP and heard today from my CPN that they phoned him to ask him some questions, and because of their conversation and the paperwork I submitted in the post, they've decided I don't need to go for an assessment. I haven't heard whether/what I've been awarded, so have to wait and see.

I will add that I had support from an outside agency to fill in the forms. The kind of agency that knows what to write.

All the best for anyone out there claiming benefits. And base any answers on your worse day.

S

snowdog4935

Today's fun

So just an update:-

I have seen my GP today who agrees attending my assessment with a physiotherapist hours away would make me a danger to myself (and others)

My partner rang the DWP, she was very upset at the time, and their response was basically 'whatever - not our problem'. She insisted it would be put on record that I was becoming more unstable, with the insistence that they would be culpable for any incident.

My letter from the GP has gone to ATOS and the DWP, advising that he is concerned for my welfare.

I spoke to ATOS, mid meltdown, to tell them I would not be attending. To my surprise, the gentleman I spoke to was really pleasant, and very apologetic I was so upset.

My hand is infected, so got topical antibiotics.

ATOS have cancelled my appointment and are arranging a home assessment when they receive my GP letter.

Last edited:
J

Jules5

It is a long drawn out process and then when it comes time to go face to face it seems like a nightmare. I like what you said about describing your worst day as most of the time I am functional. Just on edge and not motivated at all. I lost interest in everything including food. I know this is an older Thread, I am just wandering how everyone through the process. Hopeful Jules

Luci

Luci

My CPN suggested I apply for PIP a few weeks ago. I forgot all about it until she rang me to say they had rang her and asked her questions. She has told them I wouldn't be able to attend an appointment on my own so I hope that helps me. She did say it's easier to get when you have a care team around you... I'll keep you posted if itll help?