Benefits of OCD?

K

kimkim210

Hi all,

This is a little bit unusual as seen in the title of this thread.

But before I ask, here is a brief introduction: I am currently a male college freshman who has been a sufferer of OCD all my life (as well as anxiety/hypochondria but we'll save that for later). My biggest obsessions in regards to OCD are fear of germs and always having perfection/symmetry. In regards to compulsions, I repeatedly check things over...and over...and over...and over again (the usual OCD stuff hehe). I once hit the lock button on my car 15 times in a row just to be safe that my car was locked, went back into my dorm, and then came back out to lock it another 5 times JUST TO BE SAFE. Mind you, it is not a close walk. My brain was saying "Are you sure you locked your car? What if you hit unlock while your keys were in your pocket? You should check just to be sure. Did you close all the windows in your car too? What if it rains and ruins your entire interior?"

ANYWAYS, I wanted to ask you all, do you see any benefits of having OCD? I know this is quite a bizarre question, but who says us as OCD peeps cannot enjoy what makes us...us! For me personally, I think the greatest perk in having OCD is when it comes to school. Because of my constant fear of missing a deadline, I always have reminders set and have never turned in anything late. In writing, I am able to see any small little typo/irregularity and fix it immediately. It is like having an automatic grammar-check instilled in my head. My writing is very neat and appropriately spaced/formatted. I have gotten many compliments in my papers/discussions thus far for having sophisticated, concise, and error-free writing.

Another benefit I see is when it comes to sanitation/cleanliness: I am very sanitary and well-cleansed. I always tidy up hygiene-wise and take good care of my body. My laundry is always done weekly or when needed. My room is always in top-notch shape, my bed is always made, and the floors are always clean. My friends love to come into my dorm room to just enjoy the sight of actually having a clean room.

Now, I want to be very clear that I know OCD is not something to undermine and downplay. As an OCD sufferer myself, it is very debilitating and stressful; I wanted to post this to hopefully shed a small light on OCD and help all of us know that we can make good out of what seems bad. OCD, or any mental illness for that matter, does not make one less significant or important. We can all make the most out of what makes us...us.

Cheers to all and hopefully we can share some thoughts! :)

F

FrightenedbyEverything

Regular OCD...well, you might be able to keep things clean. POCD like I have? Not in the least. It messes you up like hell and never lets you go no matter what you do. At least for me.

O

OCDguy

Perhaps take control. If the world won't stop if you don't do something, don't do it. Could it be you just like being busy? Perhaps look at doing something more creative and inspirational with your time ;)

S

Skynet

Do not kid yourself: maybe OCD does have some benefits but they are greatly outweighed by the costs. For me, the biggest costs are the distress OCD causes and the time that is wasted performing the compulsions.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I have ocd but in a relatively mild and unharmful way. Pretty much like yourself , the worst part for me if you can call it the anguish it causes me in wanting to stop doing these things like counting everything in site. But ocd comes in many forms and for some people it’s a nightmare like the previous posters have said . It can be very damaging to you and your family if your rituals are affecting them.

hicks

hicks

Do not kid yourself: maybe OCD does have some benefits but they are greatly outweighed by the costs. For me, the biggest costs are the distress OCD causes and the time that is wasted performing the compulsions.
Totally agree. My daughter takes a minimum of 30 minutes every time she uses the toilet, mainly due to compulsive repeated hand washing. Basically everything takes about 10 times longer than normal. It has a massive effect on the whole family.
I can't think of any direct benefits of chronic OCD.

O

OCDguy

I agree with what you are saying :) I can't help but think channeling that energy onto a more productive and stimulating activity could make a difference (assuming that is a possible)...