Bad Advice from Good Friends: POCD/OCD in general

• Thread starter FrightenedbyEverything
  • Start date
F

FrightenedbyEverything

Has this ever happened to you? You're having an OCD attack or POCD attack and in desperation, you reach out to a friend, perhaps subtly as the case is with me, who may not be as...''well versed '' in these things as others might be. They might have different opinions on certain things that might be flawed or even be untrue because they can be single-minded at times. Without meaning to, they accidentally start you back where you started with details muddled or blocked off and false memories creeping back in and you have to use coping mechanisms to get you back to where you were before. (In my case this means snuggling up to whoever I can imagine while they reassure me I'm not a monster.)

So, in conclusion, has anyone else made the same mistake as me? If so, post your story in a reply.

Z

ZG1

oh yes! well not really a friend, but i did post on another forum recently and i don't think the person who replied quite got what i was saying. i posted the same thing on this forum and got such a different, comforting vibe.

some red flags shot up in my head reading this person's response, but because i was in such a panicked state, i halfway agreed and believed what they were saying about me. looking over it now with a clearer head is just... UGH. makes me look like a weirdo! can't delete the posts either.

and of course my ocd is worrying about that now LOL. so yeah, definitely been (am) there! just makes me want to type out a whole other post for reassurance.

F

FrightenedbyEverything

oh yes! well not really a friend, but i did post on another forum recently and i don't think the person who replied quite got what i was saying. i posted the same thing on this forum and got such a different, comforting vibe.

some red flags shot up in my head reading this person's response, but because i was in such a panicked state, i halfway agreed and believed what they were saying about me. looking over it now with a clearer head is just... UGH. makes me look like a weirdo! can't delete the posts either.

and of course my ocd is worrying about that now LOL. so yeah, definitely been (am) there! just makes me want to type out a whole other post for reassurance.
It's a terrible situation alright. It's best not to ask help from those who may be ignorant on the situation, even if you know them well. They may well treat their own opinions as facts and that can have really damaging consequences. Just like with me this morning.

Z

ZG1

It's a terrible situation alright. It's best not to ask help from those who may be ignorant on the situation, even if you know them well. They may well treat their own opinions as facts and that can have really damaging consequences. Just like with me this morning.
i agree, it's a really touchy subject :( i posted on an ocd forum, so i assumed it would be alright but the person who replied had never suffered from pocd. they just said some triggering things that i don't agree with and wouldn't associate myself with had i not been having a breakdown LOL.

please know that whatever your friend said was said out of ignorance and not having knowledge on the topic. it doesn't define you in any way! though i know that's hard to believe when your mind is stuck in a rut.

hugs to you!! pocd is an awful monster and i wish i had more advice. just know you're not alone in fighting it :grouphug: