Assessment results wait time ?

I

iwanthope

I left the surgery and went to another. I see any GP there. Therefore i don't have continuity of care but id rather that than have a GP who has been behaving in such a way with me.

I

iwanthope

Another GP wrote a plan stating that my behaviour was a sign of mental illness and that I should write a plan indicating when I am well and how I behave and another plan which states how I behave when I am unwell. It's as if somewhere my behaviour was taboo and abnormal. I overheard on one occasion two GPs refer to me as a 'freak'. My insistence began due to my Tardive dystonia. That's all I needed. Someone to believe me but I had female GPs behaving in a spiteful manner.

J

JohnE

Yes that does sound an improvement .
Continuity in care is important though , the NHS constitution say you have the right to Express a preference for using a particular doctor within your GP practice , and fir the practice to try to comply.

I feel very fortunate to be able to see the same GP once a fortnight for 20 mins .

I

iwanthope

You're lucky. However it's a pity that we should have to rely on the type of GP we get to give us a voice.

J

JohnE

You are right , getting a decent GP who is understanding of mental health is a lottery .
At my surgery I see the same one regularly , there are also 3 others who understand and are available on the phone if needed.
Sadly there are 3 doctors at the same surgery who will simply say things like "what do you expect us to do " and will hang up the phone on me when in crisis .

I

iwanthope

Hi John, how did you manage to get an uphold if you didn't go to the phso? Which complaints department upheld your complaints.

J

JohnE

Hi John, how did you manage to get an uphold if you didn't go to the phso? Which complaints department upheld your complaints.
It was the Mental health trust themselves who upheld my complaints. It wasnt easy but it is achievable .
I still have the right to take it to the PHSO if I'm unhappy .

I

iwanthope

The mental health trust themselves never even investigated my complaint. They just watered everything down. Denied everything then told me to go to the Ombudsman.

J

JohnE

The mental health trust themselves never even investigated my complaint. They just watered everything down. Denied everything then told me to go to the Ombudsman.
Many organisations try to do this , they hope people will give up and they know the PHSO also has a low investigation and clear up rate .
You have to present complaints in a way they cannot ignore , and support with evidence , using their policies / procedures and facts .

I

iwanthope

Many organisations try to do this , they hope people will give up and they know the PHSO also has a low investigation and clear up rate .
You have to present complaints in a way they cannot ignore , and support with evidence , using their policies / procedures and facts .
Hi John,
I am trying to do that at the moment...did you write your own summary/ explanation and then compare to the nhs policy handbook or the mental health handbook..what did you use? If you don't mind me asking. Also how did you present the information...

J

JohnE

Hi Iwanthope .
I dont mind you asking at all , there are many pitfalls and to get the best from complaints you cannot rely on the complaints team or investigation.

For a mental health trust complaint that you feel strongly is important .

Be sure of what you are complaining about and what outcomes you want ( how you want them to put things right )

Ask if there is advocacy or support for you to make a complaint .

Check the trusts complaints policy , procedure and CMHT or AMHT policy . Thos way you will know how things work and be sure of your complaint . You cannot rely on them to be honest with you .

Cross reference with the NHS constitution and constitution handbook . These give you certain rights and pledges that NHS trust should adhere to. You may find things to support your complaint.
Also read the PHSO principles for good complaint handling . This will show you what kind of things the PHSO will expect if you need to go through them .

When you complain make sure it's a formal complaint , they try to deal with simply issues via local resolution or raising it as a concern . If you dont feel its simple and easy make it a formal complaint that requires an investigation.

Try to set the terms of reference yourself . These are the questions you want the complaints investigation to answer .

Ask for a meeting to set out the TOR and discuss things like how often you want to be contacted during the investigation . Slnecwill also want to set a timeframe maybe 30/40 days . If the issues are complex they no longer have a requirement for a timeframe you can ask them to take longer and not rush things .

Tell them you wish to read the investigators draft report before it is signed off . That way you get to view the report and check its accuracy . You have the right to question things you do not believe are right .

If they them sign off a rubbish complaint without any outcomes for you or learning fur them to improve , you are prepared for taking it to the PHSO.

Remember this is your complaint .
You can't rely on the trust to be honest and deal with you fairly . If they get defensive ,and most do . Try not to take it personally . The will often deny ,delay , deflect and try to discredit you. It's a tactic to try and get you to give up .
Try to get things in emails rather than phone calls , They may well lie over what has been agreed.

There are some good trusts out there I really hope yours is one of these who treat complainants well .

I had to push them for 29 months to get complaints upheld and it's still not resolved.
Part of the problem is I was totally unprepared and not well enough . So I've had to learn as I go along .

If your complaint is not urgent , please do take your time to prepare, chances are you will not be in contact with anyone who will understand these issues , the better prepared you are the more chance of a successful outcome . That said if you are in a good trust you could simply make a few calls and they should guide you through it .

Sorry for waffling
John

I

iwanthope

Hello John. Would you happen to know where I could get the cmht trusts policy, procedure and HTT policy? I don't know where to get it from?

J

JohnE

Hi Iwanthope
I'm not sure which trust you are under ? However their Policies and peocedure should be available on their website or from a simple Google search ?
If not you can easily email the trust or present a freedom of information request ?

Best wishes
John

Happy to help if anyone needs help with complaints