Anyone have panic attacks that cause diarrhea?

C

cp54

I have had anxiety problems forever, I’ve always avoided going to places where people gather, but somehow it all got tied into being afraid of being out in public, having sudden intense diarrhea and not being able to get to a bathroom in time. Unfortunately, I actually do get diarrhea within min of a panic attack. Now, I’m afraid to go anywhere I think a restroom won’t be easily available! Does anyone else have this problem? If so, how do you handle it? I usually take Xanax and Imodium so I can go a few places, but I don’t see how I can go on a vacation for any length of time - that would call for taking Imodium for days in a row. Is it even possible to take it for that long without problems? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My husband wants to take me on an Alaskan cruise :(
Thank you,
Cp

Victorianna

Victorianna

I have a lot of stomach problems with my anxiety. I’ve taken immodium for an entire 2 week vacation once, and had no trouble. It’s a pretty safe medicine.

BUT I don’t know your specific health issues, or other medicines you are taking, so I’d check with your doctor to be safe.

A cruise vacation would be great! There’s always a bathroom available! :)

honeybadger

honeybadger

ACCOUNT CLOSED
No. But undiagnosed digestive disorders like lactose intolerance or celiac sprue can cause mental imbalances and symptoms.

C

cp54

Thank you Victorianna! Taking Imodium for the entire time is my plan so far. Di it make you terribly constipated and uncomfortable before your vacation was over? On shop will be fine, it’s the off ship excursions I’m worried about.
Thank you, honey badger, I was actually diagnosed with Celiac 2 yrs ago, plus I have had the right side of my colon removed due to colon cancer, all of this was discovered After I started having the panic attacks, but even having them addressed has not stopped the panic attacks, but at least I have now been able to go places I couldn’t before. As long as I have Imodium and Xanax. I so want to be able to go places and not be afraid all of the time!

Victorianna

Victorianna

No, not constipated, just normal and under control so I wasn’t having to run for the bathrooms!
You can always lessen the dose or eat fiber if that’s a problem you start having.
I know what you mean about the off ship excursions. I always like to know where the bathrooms are, and in a new place, you just don’t.
But if you’re having a bad day, you can just stay aboard ship. There’s lots to do, I hear.
My dream is a riverboat cruise in Europe. Someday!

F

Floris654321

No, never heard of this before. I am not sure if fear can cause diarrhea it's an interesting subject though!

T

Tomorrows a new day

HI, your avoiding places, that's giving the anxiety purpose, you need to retrain your brain, stand in a crowed place where no-one will notice you and wait until the fear response dies down, normally about 5 minuets, the your brain will realise there is nothing to be scared about. I'm not saying it's easy, but this will work in the long term

F

Floris654321

I agree. You should never run from your fear always face it how uncomfortable or bad it will be. It keeps you strong.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Yes anxiety can cause diarrhoea especially if you have bowel or stomach problems. I have IBS and I know it becomes worse with anxiety. I do carry a radar key but that’s only helpful if there’s a disables loo nearby.
Have ou discussed this with your gp because there may be something that they can suggest for you.
Daf:hug: