Anxiety and panic attacks

• Thread starter Ragdoll what are houses
  • Start date
blacksmoke

blacksmoke

lol i cant relate to either of those! for me its an heightened energy that is unexhaustible. and i am no longer a spring chicken you might say lol

Heidrun

Heidrun

Can anyone explain to me the difference between an anxiety attack and a panic attack?
Isn't a panic attack a reaction from the properties of an anxiety? I think a panic attack is more somatic experience that happens from a few minutes to a few hours. Not sure what you mean with anxiety attack here... Please elaborate.

G

gam9147

I don't think there is a difference other than terminology.

I myself will use the term 'panic attack' to describe a 'full blown panic attack' which I think medically is 4? or 5? or more symptoms (racing heart, flush feeling, feeling of impending doom, pins and needles, etc). Panic attacks have a pretty fixed maximum duration around several hours I believe.

But often times for me with generalized anxiety disorder I only have one or two of these symptoms for longer -- such as a racing heart only or general agitation for a day (like today). These are 'limited symptom attacks', and I often call those 'anxiety episodes' or 'anxiety attacks' which in my mind means less severe but longer in duration.

Medically I don't think there is a difference though.