Agoraphobia and cbt

M

MipMip

Hey everyone I'm new! English is not my first language so sorry for the mistakes...
last year I suffered from many panic attacks - then went to a regular consuling and it helped a lot.
This year i'm on my second year of collage - I feel better but stil have severe anxitey when i need to do a presentation because i'm afraid i'll have a panic attack while talking. I was wondering if do you guys think cbt to help my public speech anxitey will help? or is it the Aguraphobia? can aguraphobia be helped with cbt? I feel like its a paradox
thanks x

F

Fancyharm

Hi, I have overcome agoraphobia, but I am having some anxiety attacks at work. I am looking into CBT, I have asked the forum about it as my counsellor has recommended it to me.

I have also contacted the NHS about CBT help as they are prepared to let you self refer, basically you don't need the doctors referral.

I am really hopeful that the CBT will help me, I want to get started asap.

Good luck and well done for helping yourself with the counselling.

A

Amyjane8812341

Hi
I have had agoraphobia all my life. About 9 years ago I did not leave the house unless it was for the doctors and I would only go with my partner. Would not answer the door or even go in the garden on my own. I did CBT and it helped a lot. It was very stressful at first facing my fears but I found a tiny step at a time was best for me. I am now able to walk to my local shop on my own and answer the door also go in my garden. It has taken a long time .

M

Myrmidon

Hi Mipmip,

CBT will definitely help to change the way you think about doing presentations but I would recommend facing the fear in small steps. Try asking a few friends to watch you perform the presentation a few times before you do it to the class. Not only will you develop more confidence and improve your presensation skills but your brain will also rationalise the principle that the only difference between performing for your friends and the class is numbers. Would it really make a difference is there was a few more people watching?

A misconception about anxiety people tend to develop is that we try to remove anxiety from our lives. This isn't really the case. Anxiety is part of our biology and everyone has it in their lives. The difference is the way we cope with anxiety, and this is done by developing confidence (or courage as some view it as). Think of this sentence for example: "I'm confident I won't have a panic attack while performing my presentation." We can't develop that kind of confidence unless we at least test the situation, and the best test would be to do mock presentations to friends.